1. How does a Water Ionizer work?
2. What are the various levels of alkalinity and acidity (pH) for?
3. What type of water can I use to produce ionized water?
4. What if I have well water?
5. Can I store the water? If so, for how long?
6. Is it OK for children to drink ionized water?
7. Can I over-alkalize?
8. Isn't Reverse Osmosis the most effective water filter?
9. What about a distiller? That doesn't waste water.
10. Lots of systems say they alkalize.
11. What advantages does ionized water have over reverse osmosis or distillation?
12. Are there any cautions about drinking alkaline ionized water?
13. Why should I remove chlorine from my drinking and bathing water?
14. What is acidosis?
15. Is alkaline water suitable for livestock and pets?
16. When and how often should I drink Kangen water™?
17. What are the favorable reactions to drinking Kangen water™? Are there ever any unfavorable reactions?
18. What is the white turbidity that appears when generating Kangen water™?
19. Why did the U.S. International Earth Environment University give an award to Enagic?
20. How should I drink Kangen water™?
Keep in mind that water by itself is non-nutritious, and you must eat meals with plenty of vegetables. Another way to judge whether you are drinking the optimum amount of Kangen water™ is to check that you have good stools. Many Kangen water™ drinkers have said that only a glass in the morning was effective when they were physically weakened. Body conditions can differ greatly from one person to another, so the way of drinking Kangen water™ may not be specified in terms of volume. It is essential that everyone recognizes his/her own condition and determines the best way to drink. Instead of drinking or not drinking when you feel like it, try to make it a habit to drink Kangen water™ regularly and lead a regular life.
21. The LeveLuk seems extremely expensive. Is it different from other water cleaners and filters?
22. Is it true that strong Kangen water™ will clean dirt from a car and completely remove the oily film from the windshield?
23. Is strong acidic water effective in removing germs from kitchens, bathrooms and toilets?
24. It's been said that acidic water is an ideal weak acidic water treatment for skin.
25. What are the electrodes of each unit composed of?
26. How do I use Kangen Water™ for beauty care?
Winter is the coldest season of the year and the air becomes extremely dry. Skin care becomes especially important at this time. If you do not take care of your skin properly, you will suffer from dry/rough skin, chilblain and so on. Bodily fluids play an important role in maintaining your body temperature. It naturally also affects health, and since it is important to maintain the pH level of your skin between 5.0 and 6.0, please spray acidic water*1 on your skin at regular intervals, or use acidic water to make your bath during the winter when it is difficult to control the moisture of your skin. We also recommend that you eat foods and fruits that include high levels of vitamin C, A and E. Treating your skin with beauty water will let you enjoy life even more by giving you smooth and youthful skin.
1) Acidic water: Acidic ionized water produced by electrolysis with a pH between 4.0 and 6.5. Its astringent effect is certified by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Excellent for skincare.
27. What is beauty water (acidic water) and strong acidic water?
Acidic water has a pH of around 5.5-6.5 and strong acidic water has a pH of lower than 2.7. The Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare has certified acidic water as an astringent*1,2. Since strong acidic water or “hypochlorous acid water” is known to have bactericidal effects, we have been applying for certification from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Strong acidic water was certified as a food additive in Japan in June 2002.
Astringent: Acidic water works as an astringent for toning you skin.
Astringent water: Refers to acidic beauty water. Has an astringent effect.
28. What is the proper amount/method of drinking Kangen Water™?
Although there are no specific settings, the LeveLuk has a switch that allows you to produce water at three different pH levels between pH8.5 to pH9.5. For healthy individuals, the selection depends on the age, such as 8.5 for children and 9.5 for adults. In the end, however, it is up to individuals to choose the pH of their drinking water.
If the purpose of drinking Kangen Water™ is to alleviate various chronic illnesses, we recommend water with pH 9.5 (delivering electrolytic water with high content of dissolved hydrogen and a low content of hydrogen ions). The idea is not to drink as much Kangen Water™ as possible. It is ideal to have 1-1.5 cups of water first thing in the morning by pouring water into a cup with the spout to avoid unnecessary mixing of oxygen from the air. Then, drink in small portions throughout the day so that you drink over a liter (ideally 2 liters) of Kangen Water™. We recommend that you take a bottle of Kangen Water™ with you when leaving the house.
29. What is the relationship between the oxidation-reduction potential (ORP) and pH?
The oxidization reduction potential is the electrical potential needed to reduce or slow down rusting and decay (oxidization.)
The ORP* also represents the reduction capacity to attract active oxygen. The optimum levels for the human body is between -150– -400mV. The ORP is also closely related to pH levels. When the pH increases, the ORP also increases. It is also possible to increase ORP through electrolysis. The value depends greatly on the original water supply. An ideal ORP may not be achieved if the original water has a pH lower than 7.0. Please make sure to examine the properties of your original water, for failure to do so may lead to inexplicable errors.
1) ORP (Oxidation-Reduction Potential): Electrical potential needed to reduce or slow down rusting and decay (oxidization). This process is also known as deoxidization. ODR is measures in terms of negative mVs. The ideal ODR level for the human body is said to be between -150mV and -400mV. This is commonly called anti-oxidation.
30. How should I consume Kangen Water™ in order to improve my health?
People need to drink more than 0.7 gallons of water a day in order to live. The large intestine absorbs water supplied by liquids and moisture in foods consumed by the people. To maximize the health benefits gained from drinking Kangen Water™, drink more than 0.5 gallons throughout the day in small portions, without boiling it. The most effective way is to drink over 0.15 gallons of Kangen Water™ first thing in the morning prior to breakfast. Not only does the first drink in the morning replenish the water lost during the night through breathing and sweating, but the power of Kangen Water™ speeds up your metabolism1, improving your health, alleviating constipation, fatigue and even a hangover. Please consult a physician or pharmacist before using if you are receiving medical treatment or notice any abnormalities in your health.
1) Metabolism: The process of eliminating old supplies and replacing them with new ones. The process in living organisms where necessary substances are taken in – while the unnecessary substances are discharged.
31.What is the proper method of strong Kangen Water™ strong acidic water, and how long do they last?
Among the five types of water produced by LeveLuk, the two types for drinking (purified water/Kangen Water™ ) can go bad easily due to the container or temperature, because chlorine, which works as a bactericide, has been removed from the water. For this reason, greater care must be given to the storing of purified water and Kangen Water™. Please keep these two types of water in the refrigerator for no more than 4-5 days and replace the water in your take-out bottle everyday. For water used for domestic purposes, including acidic water, strong acidic water and strong Kangen Water™, less care is required, but we recommend changing your supply once a week.
To store, please place the water in a lightproof container*, fill it to the very top to avoid unnecessary contact with air, and store it in a cool, dark place (the refrigerator is ideal). Note: (*)
1) Lightproof container: Container that keeps light out.
32.What is the most effective way of using beauty care water (acidic water)?
As we mentioned before, acidic water has been approved * by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare as an astringent. You can keep your skin moist by spraying it on to your skin when the air is dry. Note: (*)
1) Astringent effect: Tones skin 2) Acidic water can be used as an astringent for toning your skin.
33. What is the oxidation-reduction potential (ORP)?
The oxidization reduction potential is the electrical potential needed to reduce or slow down rusting and decay (oxidization). Kangen Water™ must have a negative ORP1 in order to be considered good, especially for drinking. ORP is the strength to bond with active oxygen2 reducing power, and can be measured through electronic designs in the hardware. Although a negative value is desirable for deoxidization power, the actual value varies from region to region. For example, in Osaka city, tap water records an ORP of +580-600mV, but after using LeveLuk, the ORP becomes pH9.5 and records the ideal from -150mV to -400mV. When the original water supply’s ORP increases, the ORP of Kangen Water™ moves in direct proportion. On the Japanese archipelago, LeveLuk is capable of producing water with negative levels of ORP at pH9.5 even where original water supply marks the highest positive levels of ORP.
1) Oxidation-reduction potential (ORP): Electrical potential needed to reduce or slow down rusting and decay (oxidization). This process is also known as deoxidization. ODR is measures in terms of negative mVs. The ideal ODR level for the human body is said to be between -150mV and -400mV. 2) Active oxygen: Also known as free radicals. Medically it is known to enter the body when one’s daily rhythm of life or diet goes astray when under stress. It is the type of oxygen that causes illness and aging. Maintaining a daily rhythm will help keep this oxygen from entering your body!
34.Why doesn't Kangen Water™ always turn the pH testing solution blue (purple)?
Kangen Water™ produces a yellow/green color (neutral reading) in pH testing solutions even if it made on the setting for pH 9.5. This phenomenon is often observed in areas where well water is used. Even water that tests neutral has been through the electrolytic process and has the benefits. This is caused by the carbon dioxide in well water, which is produced from decomposing organic matter. Carbon dioxide readily dissolves in water, making it acidic. Water with carbon dioxide can be electrolyzed, however, the carbon dioxide is neutralized during the process. Therefore the water tests neutral on the pH scale.
Driving out the carbon dioxide from Kangen Water™ will result in the Kangen Water™ expressing blue in pH test liquid. When measuring the pH using a pH testing solution, place a few drops in the flask before pouring in freshly made Kangen Water™. There is carbon dioxide in your Kangen Water™ if the color turns blue initially, but eventually turns yellow.
35. What is the cluster theory of deoxidized water?
Approximately 15 years ago, with the help of nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR)* appliance, it was confirmed that water does not exist in single unit molecules, but forms a molecular population (cluster)* out of approximately 13 water molecules. These clusters are constantly repeating an aggregation-disaggregation process. The quality of water depends on the size of its clusters. For example, small clusters have active molecules that increase the capacity of water to dissolve elements (solubility), let elements pass through (permeability), and let heat pass through (conduction). Electrolysis causes the water clusters to break, and Kangen Water™ has clusters made up of five to six water molecules resulting in a lower molecular weight. This is approximately half of that of tap water (12-15 water molecules/cluster) and is most beneficial for your health.
1) Nuclear magnetic resonance apparatus (NMR):An apparatus that utilizes electromagnetic waves to measure/determine the molecular population in water. It is used in research on the composition of matter as well as in medical fields.
2) Molecular cluster: Water molecules stick together to form a grape-like structure. Approximately thirteen water molecules form a molecular population which is known as a cluster.
36. What is the white fogginess in Kangen Water™?
The white fogginess apparent in Kangen Water™ is simply a result of hydrogen gas being released through electrolysis, and does not pose a problem. If you rest the glass for a while the white fogginess should disappear. Research focused on dissolved hydrogen released through electrolysis of water was presented at The Japan Functional Water Association Meeting* in late December of 2002. It reported that Kangen Water™ is effective in controlling the oxidation of lipids in the body.
It also reported that dissolved hydrogen* present in the colloidal* state has a higher activity level than active hydrogen4 produced at the instance of reaction. Based on this report, the need for broader data collection and further scientific analysis was recognized. Note: (*)
1) The Japan Functional Water Association Meeting The Japan Functional Water Association Workshop was established on September 13, 2002. In December of the same year, the first Japan Functional Water Association Academic Convention was held in Tokyo. 2) Dissolved hydrogen Most commonly measured using a diaphragm polalograph-type dissolved hydrogen electrode. The solubility of dissolved hydrogen is about 1.5mg/L. 3) Colloidal: Low molecular weight (colloidal) particles dispersed in liquid. Each particle is between 1mμ and 0.1μ. The majority of substances that make up organisms are colloidal and have complex movements.
4) Active hydrogen: Professor Sanetaka SHIRAHATA of Kyushu University announced the “active hydrogen deoxidized water theory” on removing the active hydrogen in Kangen Water™. Related academic circles are debating whether or not active hydrogen exists in a stable state, given that it is an unstable free radical.
37. How do we begin drinking Kangen Water™?
It is most common to begin by setting a low pH* 5 level (between pH8 and pH9.0), and gradually increasing the amount of intake. After continuing regular intake for about two weeks, gradually adjust the pH level and amount of intake (between pH9.0-pH9.5) based on your bodily needs and physical condition. The Kangen Water™ should be as fresh as possible. For children or seniors, set the pH level at an even lower level upon starting, and gradually increase it as the body adjusts to the current pH level. In the case of infants (until about a year old), since breast milk or milk is the only thing they consume, the intestinal movement is generally different from adults, and the use of Kangen Water™ is not encouraged until the infant begins to consume more sophisticated foods. In any case, Kangen Water™ should not be used to make formula or powdered milk for infants.
pH: The logarithm of the reciprocal of hydrogen-ion concentration in gram atoms per liter. It is used as a measure of the acidity or alkalinity of a solution on a scale of 0-14 (where 7 is neutral).
38. What are the benefits of consuming Kangen Water™ ?
Although Kangen Water™ has been recognized as being beneficial for the stomach and intestines, depending on how it is consumed, and on the individual’s physical state, it is possible (although uncommon) to experience constipation or diarrhea a few days to a few weeks after first starting to drink it. In herbal terms this is known as the Mengen effect1. The two conditions are particularly similar in that both cases, the remedy is so effective that it has a negative effect. If this occurs, the amount of intake should be reduced to half or a fourth of the previous amount until symptoms clear. Once symptoms have subsided, it is okay to resume intake. However, increasing the amount of intake with not alleviate the symptoms. Since halting intake completely may also affect the body, it is best to continue intake, but in lesser amounts. If there are no signs of improvement, please consult a doctor or pharmacist. Note: (*)
1) Mengen effect: Your body may start hurting several hours or a day after you receive chiropractic. The technical term for this is the Mengen effect. It is a natural physical response, where the body tries to go back to normal after muscles and bones have been adjusted.
39. What about differences in quality of raw water?
The type of original tap water used affects the quality of Kangen Water™ and acidic water produced by electrolysis. Although water produced with municipal city water is not affected, the efficiency of electrolysis drops when well water is used since it tends to hold a lot of free carbon dioxide*, as well as in cases where water comprising only a small amount of electrolytic minerals is used. Conversely, in cases where the water has excess minerals, the taste may be affected, or Kangen Water™ produced may be too high in pH level.
Since the water pressure of the faucet affects the production of water, it is important to confirm that genuine Kangen Water™ is being produced by regularly checking that it is set at the correct pH level, and checking the bubbles. In order to take into account the differences in the quality of the original tap water, please run a check on a daily basis. Note: (*)
Free Carbon Dioxide: Carbon Dioxide found in water. Some people prefer the taste of water with carbon dioxide, which tends to have lower pH levels. Water with less carbon dioxide is said to be better for the health. Japanese sake tastes better when there is a moderate amount of carbon dioxide in it.
40. Can Kangen Water™ be used to take medication?
Using a glass of Kangen Water™ rather than tap water to take medication is not really a big problem. However, the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare gives the following directions: 1) Do not take medication with machine-produced water,
2) do not drink machineproduced water if you have anaciditas*, and
3) seek help from a doctor or pharmacist if you feel an abnormality in the body, or continued intake does not appear to improve symptoms. This is because the effectiveness of medication using Kangen Water™ has not yet been tested.
The pH level of stomach acids is about 1.8pH, and medication is prescribed in accordance to this pH level in order for it to take effect past the stomach. Therefore, to ensure full effect of the medication, we recommend leaving some time between taking the medication and drinking Kangen Water™. Note: (*)
1) Anaciditas: This symptom, also known as gastric acholrhydria, is found in people with a stomach acidity higher than the average human pH level of 1.8pH. This makes it harder for them to digest food. These people should not drink alkaline Kangen Water™.
See many use of Kangen Water here